This post mainly introduces the best ways how to connect to a work computer from home. Keep reading to learn more!
Keywords: how to connect to work computer from home, how to connect to home computer from work, how can i connect to my work computer from home
How can I connect to my work computer from home?
“My boss announced yesterday that we can choose one day to work from home every work. This is pretty exciting. I want to know how can I connect to my work computer from home so I needn’t take anything home with me? Specifically, I would like to access the accounting program on my work computer, transfer files between computers, and so on.”
How to connect to work computer from home [2 options]
Here in this section, we’ll introduce 2 options on how to connect to a work computer from home which also allows you to transfer files between computers. By the way, the steps on how to connect to the home computer from work are pretty much the same.
Way 1. Easily connect to work computer from home via AnyViewer
The first option is to connect to a work computer from home using the free remote desktop software AnyViewer. It has the following advantages:
- Compatibility. It supports multiple Windows systems, from Windows 7 to the latest Windows 11. It also supports iOS devices, you’re also able to remotely access your work computer from iPhone or iPad.
- Convenience. You can achieve unattended remote connections to your work computer from home with one click.
- Security. It is secured by Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) encryption, protecting your data from leakage during remote sessions.
- Fast & stable connection. It was created by a skilled technical team and offers you a quick and reliable remote connection with excellent image quality.
Step 1. Download, install, and launch AnyViewer on both your work and home computer. On the Controller computer, go to Log in, and then click Sign up. (If you already have signed up on its official website, you can log in directly.)
Step 2. Fill in the signup information.
Step 3. Then you can see you successfully logged in to AnyViewer. Your device will automatically be assigned to the account you’ve logged in to.
Step 4. Log in to the same AnyViewer account on the two devices, then you can achieve a direct connection by clicking Remote control to achieve unattended remote access.
Step 5. After connecting successfully, you’ll see the remote desktop. Then you can completely control it just like you’re sitting in front of it. To improve your work efficiency, you can also make full use of the functions AnyViewer offers you. Click Files on the toolbar.
Step 6. A File Transfer dialog box will appear. You’re able to transfer files between devices freely by clicking the arrows after choosing the target files.
Note: You can also upgrade your account to a Professional or Enterprise plan. What can a professional or enterprise plan brings to you:
- Faster file transfer speed. Transfer speed for a free account is 500 KB/s, and for a paid account is up to 10 MB/s.
- More devices can be assigned to the same account for unattended remote access.
- Connect in privacy mode to protect privacy, which means the Controller can black the remote PC screen and disable the remote keyboard & mouse click.
Way 2. Remote into work computer from home via Remote Desktop Connection
Another option is to use the built-in Remote Desktop Connection in Windows to connect to the work computer from home. The procedure is divided into four parts: enable remote connections on the work computer, determine the IP address and PC name of the work computer, configure port forwarding on the work computer, and finally remotely connect to the work computer from the home computer.
- RDP is only included in certain versions of Windows, like Pro, Business, or Ultimate version. Windows 7 Starter Edition, Windows 7 Home Edition, Windows 8 Home Edition, Windows 8.1 Home Edition, and Windows 10 Home Edition do not support Remote Desktop.
- If the two computers are under different networks, the technical challenge of using RDP will increase since port forwarding or VPN is required across various networks.
Part 1. Enable remote connections on the work computer
Step 1. Press Win + R to open the Run box, type in “sysdm.cpl” and press Enter key.
Step 2. Select the Remote tab and make sure the “Allow remote connections to this computer” option is checked.
Part 2. Determine the IP address and PC name of the work computer
Step 1. Open the Run dialog box. Type in “cmd” and press Enter.
Step 2. Then type in “ipconfig” and press Enter. Now you can see a group of IP addresses, of which the IPv4 address is the one you need.
Step 3. Then type in “query user” to see the PC name.
Part 3. Configure port forwarding on the work computer
Step 1. Open the Chrome browser, enter “what is my IP” in the search box, and then you can see the public IP address.
Step 2. Open a web browser. Then type your router’s IP address into the address bar. A privacy warning will appear. Just click Advanced > Proceed to continue.
Step 3. Next, enter your router’s username and password in the box. Click Log in.
Step 4. Click on Port Forwarding/Port Triggering on the left pane. Create a new port forwarding rule and click Add, and choose Add Custom Service.
Step 5. Enter a name for your device in the Port Forwarding interface, and enter the port you want to forward in the port field (if you are not sure of the protocol used, please select TCP/UDP or Both under Service Type). Then enter the IP address (IPv4 Address) of the device you want to port forward, and then click Apply to save the changes.
Part 4. Remotely connect to the work computer from the home computer
Step 1. On your home computer, search for Remote Desktop Connection in the Search box. And then open it.
Step 2. Enter the public IP address we found above and the user name in the Remote Desktop Connection interface to achieve connection.
This post primarily introduces 2 options on how to connect to a work computer from home and how to connect to a home computer from work. Remote desktop software AnyViewer and Remote Desktop Connection are recommended to you.
After a brief comparison, you may find that AnyViewer is more suitable for you than Remote Desktop Connection in the following aspects:
- AnyViewer has a less complicated setup process. Even though the two computers are on different networks, you do not need to configure port forwarding or use a VPN.
- AnyViewer supports Windows Starter and Home editions. You don’t have to upgrade your Windows systems.
- AnyViewer is much easier to use. You can achieve unattended remote access without IP address, PC name, or computer password.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings